Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Does the word "Design" need a makeover

A good topic on the Linked In Creative Design Pros group.

Brand Creation, Rejuvenation and Architecture. Building Brands Without Advtg, Culture Transformation WorkshopsTop Contributor
Design means so many things - from fashion, to graphic, to product.... The popular meaning of design is pure aesthetics. The idea of strategic design has eluded business decision makers. Perhaps a new nomenclature like Strategic Creative Intervention can change the perception of design. Any takers?


This was my response:
I can draw a parallel between Electronic Music/DJing (another area I'm interested in) to the Design world. With the price of home computers and technology coming down drastically over the past 30 years, those who weren't able to afford computers and the software years ago, now can. So everyone is a "Designer" or a "DJ" now. It's a double edged sword. I like the fact that without a ton of money people access to tools they were not allowed to. However at the same time, you end up with a lot of BAD Designers and Design (and DJs!)

However as in most industries, the best really will raise to the top, so I think the word "designer" is still a good one

I think the word "Designer" is getting more muddled in the web profession than perhaps print.Pouring over many job ads, I see companies asking for a "web designer" when they actually are more looking for a web developer with coding skills.
(I won't get into the whole Design Unicorn thing, but you can read more about it here)

It seems a new role has risen up in the web/ui/ux world called the "visual designer". Which to me is a bit of a confusing term.

No comments:

Post a Comment