Thursday, December 5, 2013

Disconnect for Creativity



http://www.fastcompany.com/3022448/how-to-be-a-success-at-everything/how-creativity-works-and-how-to-harness-its-power

I enjoyed reading this Fast Company article about creativity. Especially the part about tuning out and dropping out.

"1. Create time for solitude. 
In interviewing others, I found that solitude is the No. 1 creative habit of highly creative people. If you’re immersed in online distractions and other busy-ness, you’ll never have the space to consider the ideas you’ve gleaned from elsewhere, or think about how to remix them. So while connection is important (see other steps below), time for solitude is just as critical and often forgotten."
As an electronic musician, I always found melodies and song ideas come to me doing mundane things..walking the dog, taking a shower, washing the dishes.

Since I am redoing my online portfolio, can this work for me visually/graphic design wise also?

Unless I'm doing some intensive reading, I almost have music on ALL THE TIME. So the silence is a bit jarring. I even fall asleep to a light "relaxation" playlist of mostly soundtrack, ambient and classical music.

--
I took up long distance running in the Spring of 2013, so after reading the Fast Company article, I decided to do something i NEVER do. I ran without music. I was mostly playing with music ideas in my head though! Can I get visual thoughts too?

I'll try it again this morning!

2 comments:

  1. I think my last comment disappeared into the ether. I talked about rhythm, my art honors thesis which briefly mentioned rhythm. So instead I made a blog post about it. Although the blog post is more about looking back at old artwork. But the last half touches a little on rhythm.
    http://www.spudart.org/blogs/randomthoughts_comments/5867_0_3_0_C/

    (this time I am copying my comment into a text document before I submit it into the Blogger clutches of the unknown)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt your comment is not being moderated!

      And yes I know the limitations of Blogger. I will eventually switch over to wordpress after I first redesign my main site, fredrickroyster.com

      Musically, I do go back and listen to my old work. Sometimes I like it, and think, wow those are some ideas I should go back and try again, and sometimes I cringe at how unprofessional I was.

      As a "naive" musician, I guess I didn't know the rules of music, which there is a freedom in.

      Delete