Monday, December 2, 2013

Things to stay away from with my portfolio redesign

1. Parallax/One page Design
Yeah its cool, but I find it overwhelming sometimes. I like controlled dosages of information

2. Flat Design
Ok I'm not total anti flat design, quite a bit of I enjoy and since my Adobe Illustrator skills are not stellar thats all I can make, but I want it my new portfolio to have some personality.

3. The huge ass "HELLO MY NAME IS XXXX AND IM A WEB DESIGNER" at the top of the page. Seems like everyone is doing it.

4. "Creative" navigation.. yes it shows off your design and coding chops, but I don't want people needing instructions on how to navigate my website.

5. Picture of myself. I still have bauhaus/international style manifestos in my head of Graphic Design as "anonymous" art for the people by the people. You don't sign your work (unless you're a poster maker)

And to be honest, don't want people getting hung up on my race and physical features when my real focus should be my work, not what I look like.

6. Listing all the big brands you've worked for-- well as an agency or freelancer this is important, but for me, not so much. And its all presented in the same way on most websites

No comments:

Post a Comment